Monday, October 26, 2009

"Quality is a tremendous filter" #Crushit


Crush it, folks!

It´s time for my personal review of Crushit by Gary Vaynerchuk.

Firstly, I want to share this with you. After ordering the book on Amazon – I wrote out on my Twitter profile that I just bought it. Gary responded within 5 minutes. That is instant communication – and made my experience with Crushit even more appealing. It made me buy the book for my friend´s birthday. Again, I asked Gary to write a perosnal card for my friend. Gary responded - late - but he did it. Gary is using a simple and tactical way of interacting with a reader or a fan – so companies out there don´t make it more complex than necessary. In the end it affects me. I cannot be too negative in my review. I´m passing the message and I feel the bond.

However, I spend the entire weekend reading it – and I must admit that it was a true pleasure to read such an honest and passionate piece of writing. There is nothing pretentious or academic about Gary´s story – and it characterizes a real go getter and entrepreneur. And I believe for sure that is one of the key reasons why he succeeded with his business – taking a traditional business, such as the wine business, using existing and free communications platforms – and differentiating the content with a more humble and honest approach. It could get me started to dig into wine – and evoke an interest into a field I enjoy the effect of - more than the taste.

I was thinking of the concept of reading. When I read a book – I strive to get a mental boost, something to think of. I got it with this book: Plenty of inspiration, thoughts and ideas that I can use in my everyday life. In a humble and extremely honest way. Gary just wanted to make business and to build his personal brand. Personal branding is more about the sum of connections - he understood this - instead of embracing your brand as the sum of all possible associations.

The message of the book is pretty clear. Do what makes you happy. Keep it simple. Do the research. Work hard. Look ahead. Maybe it´s easier said than done. But it makes sense. It actually reminded me of a quote I found on a post from Paul Isakson "Open minds leads to open doors". Seize it...

Another quote got my attention in context with the fact that everybody is talking about organizing, information overload etc.
"To everyone who is freaking out because they fear the noise and distraction of all additional content on the Internet, you can relax. Quality is a tremendous filter." Enough said - so damn true!

Keep it real, be passionate (cannot buy it, though), choose the medium that fits you, don´t care about the traffic (i´m glad about this one - may reach few, but important people), build legacy etc.

The book is easily read, there are many great tactical advice, and it is a great story. Gary is great content, and it is highly recommendable.

Word out!

No comments: