Wednesday, January 14, 2009

There are no rules!

I’ve been writing this post in my head for a week now - it´s time to get it out. One funny thing that just struck me is the fact that I’m most often writing my draft in Word, instead of writing it directly on my blog. For some reason I like it better - it`s more serious, and I have grown up with Word as the serious writing platform. Back to subject. One key difference between the Internet and other media is the use of language, degree of formality and number of rules. The more traditional media has it´s roots in old-school journalism, and therefore there exist certain rules that needs to be applied according to bla. bla. bla…. The Internet differs in their more informal way of interacting and communicating with people. It makes sense, since it´s more about two-way conservations, than traditional one-way communication. Digital platforms such as social media, microblogging and blogging are about to revolutionize the written language. And the big ones, such as Google, that owns their own blogging platform are taking the lead. Due to their dominance (and their user-to-user platforms) Google is an important player in the language revolution. Just to give you some examples I experienced this on one of my blog journeys. My true digital heros the barbarian group:


Hi, we kind of need your email for security purposes. We promise to never ever give it to deposed Prince Dr Linus Ajabe. Do you have any good examples? Mail them to me, and I put them on my blog...

Some other great links. Amazon use Twitter to communicate great deals; it´s a clever use of Twitter as I see it. If you are into the future of digital music go read this article. I liked the comment about Itunes, that a Google search for your favourite artist isn’t going to direct you to iTunes. Given that search dominates web navigation for music, that’s a huge challenge for the iTunes model. Everybody is discussing the crisis and how it´s affecting marketers, consumers and agencies. Ogilvy acted and developed the ogilvyonrecession site, that discusses smart strategies to overcome the downturn... Of-course Ogilvy have more business in mind when kick-starting such an initiative. However, I found it interesting that the crisis tend to draw people nearer to their family and personal network – therefore there will be an increase in the use and popularity of social networking. And Linkedin has seen a doubling in its growth rate of new sign-ups, since august, also due to crisis and insecurity. Finally, I heard about this campaign in the primetime news the other day. Great... Who wouldn´t like to get the best job in the world...


No comments: